Re: [OT?] radvd-Option AdvSourceLLAddress

Jan Lühr <ff@jluehr.de> writes:

> Hello folks,
>
> using radvd, AdvSourceLLAddress can be configured. The manpage says
>
> "When set, the link-layer address of the outgoing interface is included
> in the RA." - which is somewhat understandable - but:
>
> What's the idea behind that? When is it supposed to be set to on or off?

I believe the only useful documentation you'll get for that is the
RFC...

>From https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4861#section-4.2 :

<quote>
      Source link-layer address
                     The link-layer address of the interface from which
                     the Router Advertisement is sent.  Only used on
                     link layers that have addresses.  A router MAY omit
                     this option in order to enable inbound load sharing
                     across multiple link-layer addresses.
</quote>

So you'd normally leave that on for ethernet interfaces.

Bjørn