Re: IPv6 with dnsmasq

Rick Thomas wrote:

> On May 18, 2013, at 2:10 PM, green wrote:
>
>> Andy Ruddock wrote at 2013-05-14 14:04 -0500:
>>> Do I need a different dhcp client, or have I just missed a
>>> configuration step somewhere? Googling hasn't turned up
>>> anything - lots of pointers to radvd & so on.
>>
>> Have you considered using dnsmasq for IPv4 alongside radvd for
>> IPv6? Otherwise, I can not help you with dnsmasq, sorry.
>
> This is the way I do it:
>
> I use dnasmasq for dhcp and dns.  I put the data in /etc/ethers
> and /etc/hosts on the server machine running dsnmasq.  I run the
> normal-standard Debian-provided ipv4 client-daemons on the client
> machines.  I did the usual stuff to the dnsmasq configuration files
> to make it activate the server and get the data, but nothing that
> isn't in the standard documentation.
>
> For IPv6, I use radvd on the IPv6 gateway -- and the
> Debian-provided IPv6 client-daemons on the client machines.  This
> creates globally routable fixed IPv6 addresses based on the
> ethernet 48-bit MAC address of the client machine in the usual
> way.
>
> I have not had to twiddle the configuration files on the clients
> at all.  I take them as they come after installing Debian.
>
> When I add a new client machine, I copy-paste the generated 128-bit
> IPv6 addresses and record them in the IPv6 portion of the
> /etc/hosts file on the dnsmasq server machine.  The dnsmasq daemon
> is happy to offer those as AAAA records to anyone who asks.
>
> I get my IPv6 service thru the SIXXS tunnel service.  They
> allocated me a globally routed "/48" address space.  I cut that up
> into a bunch of "/64" subnets.
>
> It works for me...

I got a later version (2.66) of dnsmasq, that now works.

I only really need to be able to control the addresses of a few
machines (as their addresses need to be copied into another dns server).
For those machines I recorded the DUIDs passed to dnsmasq and
configured dnsmasq to give those machines the specific addresses.
Everything else just gets an address from the dnsmasq dhcpv6 server,
and just works.

- --
Andy Ruddock
andy.ruddock@rainydayz.org (OpenPGP Key ID 0xB0324245)