Re: schein.debian.org

Gerald Turner <gturner@unzane.com> writes:

> Rick Thomas <rbthomas@pobox.com> writes:
>
>> On Jun 1, 2011, at 7:16 PM, Rick Thomas wrote:
>>

>>> I've been noticing the same problem: hangs on IPv6 enabled hosts when
>>> doing aptitude updates...
>>>
>>> The solution is to set the MTU to 1280
>>
>> One way to do that is to edit /etc/network/interfaces and add to the
>> stanza for the interface that will carry your ipv6 traffic:
>> 	mtu 1280
>>
>> This only works if the interface is configured "static".  I don't know
>> how to do it if you are using dhcp.
>>

> Thanks Rick, mtu 1480 works for me.
>
> However I have a dual-stack eth0 as well IPv6 neighbors with full MTU
> available, and this setting, even though it's on the "inet6 static"
> stanza, lowers the MTU for IPv4 too (as though it executed "ip link set
> eth0 mtu 1480"), if I instead fiddle with "ip -6 route change … mtu
> 1480" I can get IPv6 a separate MTU for just the default IPv6 gateway.
>
> Seems I've run into some buggy behavior and I can't simply add a
> "post-up ip -6 route change …" to the stanza as this command creates a
> second default route with a higher metric that's ineffective until I
> delete the first route.
>
> Can anyone clue me in on this behavior?
>
> …

Sorry about all that noise, I simply changed interfaces like:

   iface eth0 inet6 static
     address 2001:470:e861::8
     netmask 48
  -  gateway 2001:470:e861::1
  +  up ip -6 route add 2000::/3 via 2001:470:e861::1 mtu 1480

And all is well.

--
Gerald Turner   Email: gturner@unzane.com   JID: gturner@unzane.com
GPG: 0xFA8CD6D5  21D9 B2E8 7FE7 F19E 5F7D  4D0C 3FA0 810F FA8C D6D5