Re: problem configuring squeeze

On Mon, 16 May 2011, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:
> > On Mon, 16 May 2011, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> >> I don't think that will be much of a problem, given that you probably
> >> have full control over the vserver network.  Routing on longer prefixes
> >> than /64 work just fine, and there are many advocating using /126 or
> >> /127 for point to point links.
> >
> > /126 is fine.  /127 is not really a good idea beacause of DAD, and it is
> > not like using /126 instead of /127 is going to waste too much valuable
> > address space (unlike /31 versus /30 in IPv4).
>
> No, waste is not an argument.  The main argument for both /127 and
> /126 is to avoid having unused addresses on a link.  But /126 will still
> leave one adress, which is why some prefers /127 instead. Although this
> does mean that you have to ignore the router anycast address.
>
> > http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3627
>
> Well, that's one informational opinion.  There's also the recent
> standards track opinion: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6164

Heh.

> The nice thing about standards is that there's so many of them :-)

Well, as long as you request that the equipment supports rfc6164, it
certainly is far more sane than running DAD on a /127.

But we need also to check that Linux supports rfc6164 and doesn't do
anything too idiotic.  It certainly can screw up rather nicely on IPv4 /31
when ifconfig is used (instead of iproute) because it does not EINVAL the
broadcast address (requested by stupid ifconfig) as it should nor considers
a IPv4 /31 link to be point-to-point in the first place.

  Henrique Holschuh