Resolving order aaaa / a with unqualified / qualified names

Today I decided to change ordering in resolv.conf so ipv6 addresses
would be found first by placing the zone I created for ipv6 addresses first
(next step will be to eliminate the special ipv6 zone and just put all ipv6
adresses in the main zone so ipv4-with-natted addresses will be the special
case and ipv6 the default).

But ssh still defaulted to ipv4 addresses for unqualified names and
ipv6 for qualified names, and with some testing I saw other applications
default the same (telnet, ftp). The best way to show this is with telnet:

telnet gosper
Trying 10.42.2.1...
Trying 2001:888:1011::694...

telnet gosper.idefix.net
Trying 2001:888:1011::694...
Trying 82.95.196.202...

in /etc/resolv.conf
search tz.idefix.net koos.koffie.dot idefix.net
the idea is to find gosper.tz.idefix.net (ipv6 only) before
gosper.koos.koffie.dot (ipv4 only). gosper.idefix.net has both.

What is causing this? Can I change this behaviour?

ii  libc6          2.3.6.ds1-13et GNU C Library: Shared libraries
ii  telnet         0.17-34        The telnet client
ii  ssh            4.3p2-9        Secure shell client and server (transitional

Forcing the protocol with -6 works, but my idea is to make IPv6 the
default without having to think about it.

Websearches about this subject find big flamewars about ipv6/ipv4/broken
resolvers so I'd thought I'd ask nicely in the debian-ipv6 users list.

                                                    Koos van den Hout

--
Koos van den Hout,           PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 via keyservers
koos@kzdoos.xs4all.nl        or RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5                        -?)