Re: dual-stack gateway/firewall

Jeroen Massar wrote:
> George P Boutwell wrote:
>
>> I would like to as part of my plans to re-do my current firewall/gateway
>> to the Internet to set it up to have a dual-stack and for it to
>> translate ipv4 incoming to ipv6 destinations and vice versa... Basically
>> I'd like an good old-fashioned ipv4<->ipv6 NAT... Is there such a thing,
>> if so where can I find more information on what I necessary to set this up?
>>

> It was called NAT-PT. Note the *was* in that short sentence. The
> mechanism has been deprecated for the very obvious reason that it breaks
> a lot of protocols and generates more problems than that it solves.
>
> If you could explain exactly what kind of problem you have then I am
> sure we can come up with a better alternative to your problem.

  I want to be able to access ipv6 services, http, ftp, ssh and whatever
from machines behind my firewall/gateway machine (which would be
dual-homed).  Machines behind this are older machines and run ipv4 only
OSes so making them IPv6 is out of the question (as far as I know). ISP
is not IPv6 capable.  I know that IPv6 won't be ideal or supper speedy
but seriously I want to have access it IPv6 now, rather than later.

George