Re: radvd or dhcp

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 04:04:08PM +0200,
 Martin Marcher <martin.marcher@gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 33 lines which said:

> A thing I don't get is the actual difference between radvd and dhcp
> in ipv6 networks. If radvd can do all the autoconfiguration stuff
> (and from what i learned by now it is just built-in in ipv6) why
> would i need dhcp

RA allows only to distribute the prefix and the prefix length. It does
not allow you to distribute other information (like the DNS server or
the NTP server) and it does not allow you to have fixed centralized
IPv6 addresses.

> so why is there radvd?

Good question.