Re: doubts about my IPv6 network

Christian Pinedo zamalloa wrote:
[..]
> The router could change IPv6 routing preferences and the PC should
> know which IPv6 address use as origin address. Is this possible to
> announce in router advertisement messages? Am I completely lost? xD

Theoretically, with newer kernels, it is possible to configure source
routing, as part of policy routing in general. Though I've understood
that it is not correctly working in quite a few cases.

There is absolutely zilch advantage in this setup. When the upstream
link breaks your (TCP) connection breaks. Then your host my try to
connect again and it will try the old address, as there is no
information that the upstream link is actually down, timeout, fail, and
try the other link (if lucky that it does).... not practical

Advice: use one single prefix. Or try HIP (Host Identity Protocol)

Daniel Jared Dominguez wrote:
> Is it too much trouble to run BGP and use only one prefix (which would
> be advertised on both links)?

Announce a /64 into the global routeing tables. And how long do you
think that that will keep on working. Of course we have 32bit ASN's now,
but that table will run out of space one day or later.

Also BGP is not really useful in failover situations as there is no
link-state included. YMMV though.

Greets,
 Jeroen