Re: mrtg with IPv6

Pepo <pmancheno@gmail.com> wrote:

> How do I can be monitoring interfaces with mrtg of my Etch-Router if I am
> using IPv6.

The simple way (no fancy snmpd access-control options):

a) configure your snmpd to listen to an IPv6 socket by adding the
correct listening address, e.g. 'udp6:161' to SNMPDOPTS in
/etc/default/snmpd

b) allow your snmp client (the host running MRTG) to access the router
using a certain community in /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf
| rocommunity6 <community> <address>

c) test from your MRTG host by using the command line snmp utils
| $ snmpwalk -v 2c -c <community> udp6:[<ipv6address>]

d) configure your MRTG to use IPv6 (option EnableIPv6, see
http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/doc/mrtg-reference.en.html)

Read at least the section about ACCESS CONTROL in snmpd.conf(5snmp) and
the paragraph about the consequences of enabling IPv6 in the
documentation of MRTG before you do that.

Regards,
Bernhard