Re: ftp services with ipv6 on Sid

On Saturday 12 November 2005 05:09, Pascal@plouf was heard to say:
> Hi,

Good morning. I do want to say thank you to everyone taking a stab at
this. I agree, if name resolution works for ssh and ping6, it should
work for everything. But...

> This looks like a hostname resolution error. Either the client
> cannot resolve "server6", but you said it does not work by address
> either and this is not consistent with ssh working with the same
> hostname, either the client does not support IPv6, but this is not
> consistent with ftp working with shando.ipv6.nerim.net. Which FTP
> client software did you use in each case ? The form of the error
> message looks like netkit-ftp from package ftp, but this one is not
> IPv6-compatible.

As seen in dselect:
*** Std net   ftp       0.17-13     0.17-13     The FTP client

The error that is seen in konqueror with ftp://server6/
An error occurred while loading ftp://server6:
Could not connect to host server6.

Firefox errors with "The connection was refused when trying to contact
server6"

> Mainstream wu-ftpd currently does not support IPv6.

It could be that its refusal is generating errors that are being
interpreted as name service errors but actually aren't.

> You may
> use pure-ftpd instead, which supports IPv6 and is the one running
> on ftp.nerim.net.

I will get that changed right away, and report back to the list if it
makes any difference.

> By the way, any network service using inetd won't work in IPv6 with
> the default netkit-inetd which does not support IPv6. You have to
> use a more advanced inetd replacement such as xinetd or start the
> server as a standalone daemon.

Ok, I'll try that too. I think it's a good time for the base Debian
services to support v6, but I know the developers have tons of stuff
on their plates already.

I will double check the Debian v6 pages to see if there is any mention
of packages "not supporting", which I don't remember seeing when I
read them.

Curt-

--
September 11th, 2001