Re: 48 bits long prefix

On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 16:30 +0100, Frederic Beck wrote:
>Hello
>
>I'm using radvd to send RA in an IPv6 test network.
>
>When using 64 bits long prefixes, everything works fine, my network is
>functional. But when i use 48 bits long prefixes, the hosts do not
>perform address autoconfiguration.
>
>I used exactly the same configuration than with the /64...
>
>Is it a problem or am i missing or misunderstanding something ?

b ;)

Every routed ethernet gets a /64, a 'site' gets a /48. A /48 can thus
contain 65536 separate routed ethernets.

Thus you assign a /64 to a single switched non-routed network. The host
will then receive this /64 RA and taking it's own EUI-64 identifier will
nicely slam them together and create a automatically configured IPv6
address.

Note that a single /64 can contain 2^64 addresses, which is way more
than your switch is likely to handle in the first place.

If you have received a /48 allocation from an ISP you should thus split
it up into /64's and give one each to each unrouted network.

Greets,
 Jeroen