Re: ftp services with ipv6 on Sid

Hi,

Curt Howland a écrit :
Ok, IPv6 is turned up on the lan. Here are the entries which I think matter in the firewall rules:
[accept anything that comes from the LAN]

and in the /etc/hosts file:

2001:470:1F00:1683::1   server6

I confirmed that the address on my laptop is definitely in the same network, and "ssh server6" works perfectly and reports "Last login: Thu Nov 10 14:59:25 2005 from 2001:470:1f00:1683:202:8aff:fe94:4801".

The problem is that ftp on the server doesn't respond when I try to use the ipv6 address, by address or name. If I ftp on the command line to ftp.nerim.net, the following entry shows up under netstat -a:

tcp6 0 0 2001:470:1f00:168:50090 shando.ipv6.nerim.n:ftp ESTABLISHED

But if I try to connect to my own server6,

$ ftp server6
ftp: server6: Unknown host
ftp>

This looks like a hostname resolution error. Either the client cannot resolve "server6", but you said it does not work by address either and this is not consistent with ssh working with the same hostname, either the client does not support IPv6, but this is not consistent with ftp working with shando.ipv6.nerim.net. Which FTP client software did you use in each case ? The form of the error message looks like netkit-ftp from package ftp, but this one is not IPv6-compatible.

I'm running the wu-ftpd package, and have been unable to find any indication in the configuration files about whether or not it's v6 aware. I guess that shouldn't actually matter, right?

Well, it does matter, but not at the hostname resolution stage. Mainstream wu-ftpd currently does not support IPv6. A patch may have been developped by third parties such as KAME or USAGI projects, but I doubt it is included in the Debian package. You may use pure-ftpd instead, which supports IPv6 and is the one running on ftp.nerim.net.

By the way, any network service using inetd won't work in IPv6 with the default netkit-inetd which does not support IPv6. You have to use a more advanced inetd replacement such as xinetd or start the server as a standalone daemon.