From: owner-users@ipv6.org [mailto:owner-users@ipv6.org] On Behalf Of
Christian Strauf
Sent: Monday, 05 May, 2003 10:11
To: users@ipv6.org
Cc: join@uni-muenster.de
Subject: IPv6-capable GnomeMeeting (H.323 VoIP/video conferencing)

Hi list!

The JOIN team is currently helping to support the porting of
GnomeMeeting to
IPv6. We're happy to announce that there's already a first working
version with
full (!) IPv4 backward compatibility. IPv6 integration will be
completely
transparent for the user.

GnomeMeeting (http://www.gnomemeeting.org) is a H.323
VoIP-/video-conferencing
client with a userfriendly GUI based on the GNOME-Libraries
(http://www.gnome.org) (doesn't need a gnome desktop to run but only the
supporting libs) using the pwlib and openh323 libraries
(http://www.openh323.org). Most of the porting was done within the pwlib
and
openh323 by Sebastien Josset and less than 10 lines (we have to do an
exact
count when the support is final :-) ) in GnomeMeeting had to be changed
to make
it v6-capable! Thanks a lot to the author of GnomeMeeting, Damien
Sandras, for
being extremely helpful and patient -- TNX, Damien! :-)

GnomeMeeting runs on Linux, FreeBSD and on MacOS X (using fink -- no
video
support yet).

Since the v6-support is currently only available in the CVS versions of
pwlib,
openh323 and GnomeMeeting (GM), I wrote a short recipe on how to build
GM with
v6 support from those CVS-versions.

You can find the howto here:

German version:
http://www2.join.uni-muenster.de/Dokumente/Howtos/howto_install_gnomemee
ting.php

English version:
http://www2.join.uni-muenster.de/Dokumente/Howtos/howto_install_gnomemee
ting.php?lang=en

(NOTE: We're currently doing maintenance work on our webserver. The name
of the
server will therefore change from www2.join.uni-muenster.de to
www.join.uni-muenster.de. If you have a 404-error with the above URLs,
try www
instead of www2. Thanks.)

There're also Debian packages of the latest CVS snapshots of
GnomeMeeting,
pwlib and openh323 available (not maintained by us):

	deb ftp://www.gnomemeeting.org/gnomemeeting-cvs/ ./

and

	deb-src ftp://www.gnomemeeting.org/gnomemeeting-cvs/ ./

These snapshots include the v6-support and are fully compatible to
v4-only
systems. Release note for the above snapshots:

"IPv6-ready, will run on IPv4-only too - Debian libstdc++5: -pre6
broken, -pre7 and -pre5 working."

Red Hat RPMs for 8 and 9 can be found here (also not maintained by us):

http://av8.netikka.fi/~johnny/

(NOTE: I first thought that these were also v6-capable. After talking
with
Johnny I found out that they aren't yet but that they will be in due
course.
Please consult the above URL to find out when they will be v6-capable.)

The above recipe may work for FreeBSD as well. In the ports tree of FBSD
you
can find the stable version 0.96.1 of GnomeMeeting. Unfortunately, we
currently
don't have information on v6-capable versions that are either packaged
or part
of the ports tree. Please let us know if you find any.

Notes about the v6 support in GnomeMeeting:
- Due to a (known) problem with pwlib, you currently _can't_ use FQDN
that
  resolve into AAAA records. You have to use the v6-IP in square
brackets for
  now ( [ ,  ]). This is bad but unfortunately nothing that can be
changed in
  GnomeMeeting at the moment.
- ILS support for v6 (listing v6 addresses and contacting the ILS server
using
  v6) is not implemented yet because there currently is no v6-capable
ILS
  server implementation. It is worked on though (a new ILS support is
currently
  being written and is already being used on ils.seconix.com that is
built on
  top of an LDAP server -- this server will be fully v6-capable in due
  course).

Please give GnomeMeeting a shot. It definitely is an excellent piece of
software that deserves our attention. Please try the software. We'll be
happy
to receive your comments on the v6 support. If you have
comments/questions
about non-v6-related issues, please go to http://www.gnomemeeting.org
and
consult the excellent FAQ. If your question is not answered by the FAQ,
please
join the user's and/or developer's mailing list. You can subscribe to
those
lists on the GnomeMeeting homepage. Happy testing! :-)

Cheers,
Christian Strauf

--
JOIN - IP Version 6 in the WiN  Christian Strauf
A DFN project                   Westfaelische Wilhelms-Universitaet