Re: Security over IPv6 networks

On Wednesday, March 12, 2003, at 08:24 PM, Joey Hess wrote:

I imagine a smart scanner could make some good guesses based on
knowledge of what parts of the MAC address space have been assigned and
are in common use, and maybe other patterns of how parts of the ipv6
addresses are used. Still, good point.

Wouldn't help much: There are a lot of MACs in use, and in my /64, there are all of three machines. Even scanning only 24 bits worth of space in my subnet, you'd be doing millions of addresses for a single hit.

And then with those extensions for privacy, that search space grows a lot.