Re: radvd + wireless access point problem

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 07:05:11PM -0500, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> >The problem comes at this point: it seems that every box behind the
> >access
> >point just cannot negotiate ipv6 with radvd. The same box, if attached
> >directly on the switch with a standard ethernet card, negotiate it just
> >fine, so i do not think it is a configuration problem.
> >
> >Is this a known problem and are there any solutions?
>
> Some APs may only pass IPv4 traffic. Use tcpdump or ethereal to make
> sure your AP is passing IPv6.

That shouldn't be the case.  Do you know of any APs that only act as
routers, rather than bridges?  I've never seen one.  A bridge should
just pass Ethernet, with no regard for what's above it on the protocol
stack.

I suspect that the problem is more likely to be the old broken
multicast issue that used to be so common.  I suspect that these
wireless devices would communicate via IPv6 just find if they were
configured with static addresses.

noah

--
Noah Meyerhans                         System Administrator
MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory