Re: Actual Apache2 Packages with working php packages

> On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 10:25:05AM -0700, Daniel O'Neill scribbled:
>> There are a few packages in .deb format in unoffical repositories, but
>> those are never fun to use.  i would recommend installing the apache2
>> devel package and compiling php from source and using that.  That's what
>> we did at my offices and so far we haven't had a problem ever since the
>> apache2 php code was cleaned up a bit.  (Before that, apache would
>> segfault [completely] for no apparent reason :)
> Does apache survive /etc/init.d/apache2 restart for you? Or apachectl
> graceful? My
> last experience was that it would segfault at that point.
>
> marek

nah, i've never had a problem getting it started, but in my experience we
enabled PHP for planned future use, although we had no PHP scripts on the
server (the PHP module didn't have any tasks, ever) but roughly 18 hours
into running (without problems or slowness or any other glitches) apache2
went 'poof!' without any error reporting etc.

upon some closer inspection (running apache2 in the foreground) the result
was a fantacular Segmentation fault, which was remedied by simply removing
the PHP module-loader-config from the mods-enabled directory.  Since
upgrading however it's been stable as stone, although, never used in
production to any capacity.