Re: Enabling IPv6

On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 13:11, Hobbs, Richard wrote:
> Hello,
>
> How exactly do i enable IPv6 in woody?? i used to have it running, but my hard
> disk crashed, and in setting the new machine up, i couldn't find a place to
> enable it. i thought it was enabled by default, but i guess not.
>
> I have another machine on my LAN running IPv6 you see, and i'd like to get them
> communicating, and eventually maybe join 6bone.net.
>
> If someone can either reply to this email offering some assistance, or reply to
> this same question on the link below, i'd greatly appreciate it. There's more
> info on the forum post as well (ifconfig output for example).
>
> http://unixforum.co.uk/index.php?act=ST&f=17&t=33

Hi,

Since your ipconfig output doesn't even show an inet6 address with scope
Link, it looks like your kernel doesn't support IPv6... so make sure
CONFIG_IPV6 is set to 'y' in your kernel configuration.

After that, it all depends on what kind of network structure your box is
in (is it placed in an ethernet segment in which IPv6 is routed, do you
need a 6in4 tunnel, etc). My server is in a IPv6 enabled network, and my
/etc/network/interfaces contains only these entries for IPv6:

iface eth0 inet6 static
  address 2001:9c0:1:1004::22
  netmask 64
  gateway 2001:9c0:1:1004::1

Output of your IPv6 enabled eth should be something like this:

(506)[teun@stardust:teun]$ ifconfig eth0
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:97:75:9C:B3
          inet addr:217.77.130.22  Bcast:217.77.130.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: 2001:9c0:1:1004::22/64 Scope:Global
          inet6 addr: fe80::260:97ff:fe75:9cb3/10 Scope:Link

Hope this helps!

Teun