RE: auto 6to4 tunnel for dialup ppp

Uns Lider [mailto:unslider@miranda.org] wrote:

> I wrote some scripts that automatically bring up a 6to4
> tunnel when a PPP
> session is started. It should hopefully be possible for anyone to drop
> these scripts right into their system, and be up and running with IPv6
> immediately. The addresses and tunnel names are all
> auto-generated, and
> the 6to4 anycast address is used, so there is no need to make
> any changes
> to configure the scripts.
>
> I believe that 6to4 could be the "killer protocol" that will
> bring about widespread adoption of IPv6. So, even though I do not
> subscribe to this mailing list,

Unfortunatly there isn't any widespread 6to4 relay deployment.
This will cause major latency issues from your endside to natively
connected hosts. Where is your anycast address ?:
 - cybernet
 - switch
 - funet ?

And that's about it, that isn't like 'near' most of the places.

Ofcourse 6to4 is a good transition technique for if one really can't
get it from close by. But if you really want to do IPv6 and your ISP
can't be persuaded to give it to you. Either let them setup a 6to4 relay
or set yourself up with a tunnelbroker, most of them will be quite happy
to help you out and then you will get a decent latency at least.

> I decided to send these scripts to the list (I hope it
> is an appropriate place!). It would be really nice if someone could
> package these scripts up, with an appropriate set of dependencies, so
> people could just type "apt-get install ppp-6to4" and end up with a
> working IPv6 connection. Or at least the scripts could be
> posted on one
> of the IPv6 related web pages.

A script such as this should be called from /etc/network/interfaces
or /etc/ppp/up.d/

> Most people reading this probably already know what 6to4 is,
> but for those
> who don't: 6to4 is a system through which every IPv4 address
> automatically
> has an IPv6 netblock tunneled to it. Since the IPv4 endpoint
> address is
> used as part of the IPv6 network address, clients do not need
> to register
> with the 6to4 routers, they can just start sending packets
> and it'll work.

And there lies a very big abuse problem as "you can just send
packets to it" and thus abuse it for denial of services.
And that is something we don't want now do we ? :)
But there is work being done about that to solve these issues.
Check the v6ops@ops.ietf.org list about that.

Greets,
 Jeroen