Re: IPv6 packages

Wichert Akkerman wrote:

Previously Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:

- reverted back ip6.arpa to ip6.int in order to have reverse resolution working.

Can't we fix this in the standard Debian package? ip6.arpa isn't
really being used yet and I don't expect it to be useful for some
time.

Wichert.

Well as I wrote the problem was discussed. The "future" will be ip6.arpa and that's the
direction the upstream is taking.
I have spend some time to understand why ip6.arpa is not working in the upstream. The resolv portion included in the libc6 comes from bind4 (according to the notes in the source) but I believe more that it's from bind8 (bind4 doesn't support ipv6 afaik).
bind8 itself doesn't support A6 and ip6.arpa. Only bind9 does.
Now setting ip6.arpa breaks because the packet that needs to be sent to the dns is not correctly
generated.
In case of A6 instead the packet is correct and the resolv receive the correct answer but it is
misinterpreted.
My general idea was to implement (atleast for debian) a full scalabale system in such way that if an application is asking for ipv6 resolution the libc will take care of which kind (.arpa or .int / AAAA or A6) but my knowledge to dig so deep inside the code is not big enough. In the last email I sent to Ben Collins he simply told me that such workaround is not the best to include in main and I agree on this also because the code I can write is not best at all. I also asked the permission to distribute the patch separatly and Ben Collins told me that there are no problems in that way. Maybe if someone can help me in build a better patch I will publish
all the "small" work I made by myself and I will be happy to test it.

Fabio