Re: new IPv6 Debian mirror available.

According to Jeremy T. Bouse:

> 	Any chance you'll get it able to be reached with an HTTP URL
> rather than over FTP?

rather than, no, in addition to, perhaps :)
I'd say yes if stock apache deb becomes v6 capable. I can't break
my already running v4 Apache on that box.

> In past experience I've found that apt-get runs
> better that way...

I'm using ftp with apt since the beginning without noticable problem.
I had problems with current apt-get using ftp method and IPv6 because
of the EPSV mode.
To quote myself from a message I've sent to Jason (a derived thread of
this list):

===
I've read the code of APT ftp method and the problem appears in
the passive code. Switching to active mode solve the problem.
I'm not sure why the (extended) passive mode fails but there's a
comment in methods/ftp.cc saying this :

 /* The PASV command only works on IPv4 sockets, even though it could
    in theory suppory IPv6 via an all zeros reply */

The code of methods/ftp.cc shows this :

      if (getsockopt(DataFd,SOL_SOCKET,SO_ERROR,&Err,&Len) != 0)
         return _error->Errno("getsockopt","Failed");
      if (Err != 0)
         return _error->Error("Could not connect passive socket.");

In my case, Err = 1.
====

I assume getsockopt() failed because of some previous action on the
socket but I haven't looked deeper yet.
OTOH, I have no problem in active mode, ie if I add in my apt.conf the
following line:

Acquire::ftp::Passive::ftp.ipv6.sofaraway.org "false";

--
Fabien Tassin -+- fta@sofaraway.org