Re: Debian IPv6 packages

On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:

> > > AI_ADDRCONFIG is what you need:
> >
> > No, the original goal was to mask the differing bind behavior of USAGI and
> > stock Linux. AI_ADDRCONFIG doesn't really help that at all.

> I was talking about getaddrinfo() only. Problem with different bind behaviours
> is that there is no standard about this.

So was I.

The trick is that if you request a passive socket from getaddrinfo, it
should return a list of sockets that should *all* be bound.

So on stock linux, a AI_PASSIVE request for a wild card adress on a v6
capable kernel will return only a wild card v6 address.

On a USAGI system (bsd et al) AI_PASSIVE for a wild card address will
return v4 and v6 wildcards which must both be bound.

This hides the functional difference behind the standard interface and
lets everything work nicely.

Jason