Re: Debian IPv6 packages

On Sun, 4 Mar 2001, Herbert Xu wrote:

> I don't think this is the right way to go about this.  getaddrinfo(3) doesn't
> know whether you're going to use the address to bind or connect.  Anyway,
> dealing with the error isn't so difficult.  And if you are really bothered
> by it, why don't you start lobbying the people who matter.

Eh? Of course it does. If AI_PASSIVE is set in the request then the caller
intends to use the returned data to create listening sockets. Otherwise
they are to be used for connections.

BTW, our getaddrinfo man page sucks :P From openbsd:

     If the AI_PASSIVE bit is set in the ai_flags member of the hints struc-
     ture, then the caller plans to use the returned socket address structure
     in a call to bind().  In this case, if the nodename argument is a null
     pointer, then the IP address portion of the socket address structure will
     be set to INADDR_ANY for an IPv4 address or IN6ADDR_ANY_INIT for an IPv6
     address.

Jason