[Re: IPv6 adoption]

Mikel wrote:

> This all well and good but there are several facts precluding the switch over
> that bear relevance here. And unfortunately all of them point to the same
> issue...$$$$$$.
>
>     1. As a result of ARIN's present policy, there will not be an exodus en masse
> to IPv6
>
>     2. In addition Cisco's failure to support IPv6 at present. Truthfully they
> will support it but only if you ask them very nicely and have very deep
> pockets...;(
>
>     3. ISP SOP... most ISP's can barely afford to be in business let alone
> upgrade or even maintain their equipment for that matter.
>
>     4. As smaller ISPs are swallowed up by the mid size and larger ones ther will
> be a conilidation of IPv4 #s, further slowing down adoption of IPv6
>
>     5. Although Europe will most likely lead the charge in the change over the US
> will blindly ignor the writing on  the wall and holdout adoption until the last
> possible moment.
>
>     Sadly in conclusion there is but one event that could single handily expedite
> adoption, and that would be if ARIN either disappeared of suddenly reversed their
> abnoxious fee schedule (http://www.arin.net/regserv/feeschedule.html). This one
> act would stimulate the required growth and propel the launch of IPv6. They could
> Simply hold a lottery, so that everyone got an initial block of set size and if
> you wanted more then you'd have to pay.
>
> Anyway these are my thoughts...And you may think I'm out of touch with this but I
> work for a Mid sized ISP in NYC, NY...and from conversations with other ISPs, and
> some Large COLO facilities...no one can afford this technology most are riding on
> a rather shoe string budget, and can don't think must father ahead than the next
> DSL sale...;(
>
> Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 02:19:05PM +0300, Mika Liljeberg wrote:
> > > This is going nowhere. Do the math and give us an even remotely
> > > plausible
> > > concrete scenario, in which we could run out of IPv6 addresses any time
> > > soon. With the calculations, please.
> > >
> > > Just out of curiosity, how many addresses would be enough, in your
> > > opinion?
> >
> > 173 bits would be enough to adress every proton and electron on Earth
> > 192 bits would be enough to adress every proton and electron in Solar System
> >
> > Even with nanotechnology, we will never run out of IPv6 adresses
> > in predicable future.
> >
> > --

Cheers,
Mikel
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+
| Optimized Computer Solutions, Inc        http://www.ocsny.com
| 39 W14th Street, Suite 203                   212 727 2238  x132
| New York, NY 10011
+~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~+

begin:vcard
n:King;Mikel
tel;fax:2124638402
tel;home:http://www.upan.org
tel;work:2127272100
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Optimized Computer Solutions
version:2.1
email;internet:mikel@ocsny.com
title:Director of Network Operations & Technology
adr;quoted-printable:;;39 W14th St.=0D=0ASte 203;New York;NY;10011;US
note;quoted-printable:fBSD, PHP, MySql and OCS Rule!!!=0D=0A=0D=0AGoal is to be MS free by the end of 2k.
x-mozilla-cpt:;7312
fn:Mikel King
end:vcard