Re: Downstream tunneling

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Craig Small wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 02:34:51PM -0500, Jonathan Guthrie wrote:
> > > Yeah need em all:

> > > CONFIG_NETLINK=y
> > > CONFIG_RTNETLINK=y
> > > CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV=y

> > Oh, is this documented anywhere, like on
> > http://www.debian.org/~csmall/ipv6/setup.html?  I know that page
> > references CONFIG_NETLINK, but the others don't appear to be mentioned
> > anywhere.

> I don't think these were there initally in the kernel. I've adjusted the
> page.

Well, it's a little more complicated than that.  If you turn on
CONFIG_RTNETLINK, then you (apparently--at least I wasn't able to get it
to work that way) can't build the IPv6 support as a module.  Everything
builds just fine, but ipv6.o won't load when you try to load it.  If you
change the default Debian kernel image configuration just enough to build
the IPv6 support into the kernel, then the kernel is too large.  I went in
and did wholesale damage to the SCSI lowlevel support in the default
kernel (leaving in the AIC7XXXX support, which I actually need on a couple
of computers) and have gotten it all to work, including the router
discovery, which requires that you run radvd on the router.  (I mention it
solely so that the next person searching the mailing list archives for
"discovery" gets a hit.  I didn't when I tried and found out about radvd
in a FreeBSD IPv6 FAQ.)

I was surprised by the fact that the potato distribution's netbase
contains a ping6 and a traceroute6.  I was expecting to have to work
harder to test the second computer.

I'm doing other things today, (the IPv6 stuff is what I'm doing for fun
and I've got to pay some bills) but I expect to fiddle around with what's
left on my list of IPv6 things to do (DNS wierdness, traceroute6
wierdness, and the downstream tunneling) over the next week or so.
--
Jonathan Guthrie (jguthrie@brokersys.com)
Brokersys  +281-580-3358   http://www.brokersys.com/