Re: [Re: IPv6 adoption]

On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 11:21:31PM -0400, Mikel wrote:
> >     1. As a result of ARIN's present policy, there will not be an exodus en masse
> > to IPv6
All the NICs suck hard in this respect. You'd think they'd make it a bit
easier, but we are lucky to have 6bone.

> >     2. In addition Cisco's failure to support IPv6 at present. Truthfully they
> > will support it but only if you ask them very nicely and have very deep
> > pockets...;(
I don't work for them but I believe their attitude is "we can do X,
which cutomers are screaming for or we can do IPv6 which noone is really
asking for; hmm let's do X".

> >     4. As smaller ISPs are swallowed up by the mid size and larger ones ther will
> > be a conilidation of IPv4 #s, further slowing down adoption of IPv6
It's actually a little bit sadder than that.  The larger ISPs are
generally the oldest.  In the early days if you could spell IP they gave
you a class B, so the bigger ISPs have no incentive to go to IPv6. They
have stacks of IP addresses.
Their newer competitors, usually smaller, find it harder to get IPv4
addresses which slows them down, enrages their large customers etc, so
the big guys win.

If it makes you all feel better, the SNMP v3 IETF working group has a
similar take-up problem.  Of course they're lucky they don't have the
facist APNIC/ARIN/RIPE getting in their way, so at least that's good.

  - Craig

--
Craig Small VK2XLZ  GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.eye-net.com.au/        <csmall@eye-net.com.au>