Re: IPv6 adoption

On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 02:01:19AM +0300, Mika Liljeberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There are  340 282 366 920 938 463 463 374 607 431 768 211 456 IPv6
> addresses. That's roughly 313 million addresses per every cubic
> millimeter of Earth. Granted, the address space is sparse, but I
> still think it's quite a lot.
>
> So what the heck are you guys talking about?

Moores law and the ignorance people bring to the lesseons which
we should have learned from the past.

We NOW cant imagine of what use the IP Addresses are - AND

We still havent switched to IPv6 as this process is REALLY
painful. This will hopefully the LAST change of network
protocols FOREVER - Once we have the 313 Million appliances
per square mm dont even think of introducing ipv8

And BTW: The faster we get the more sparse we have to be in
the IP Address ranges - Otherwise the technology can cope
with the speeds of tomorrow.

Remember - If the speed on the Last mile doubles its no problem
to go from 8 to 16 Mbit/s - But image the increase of the bandwidths
in the Backbone these clients are attached to. There will be no
router which will go at multiterrabit per second with 4 Million
routing table entrys ... Solution - Only route by the first byte - There
you are - LARGE sparse blocks ...

And yes - Every technical piece of equipment will be network attached.

Watches, Cassett Recorders, Mobiles, Palms and why dont you do IP to
your mouse and keyboard - Once you are there everybody needs 4-10 Class-Cs
to get all the equipment addressable.

The demand for network addresses will increase exponentially in the
next 50 years and I will experience a shortage in IPv6 addresses
in my lifetime (I am now 25).

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff		flo@rfc822.org		      	+49-5201-669912
     "If you're not having fun right now, you're wasting your time."