Re: General support for IPv6 out of the box in Debian

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000, Hideaki YOSHIFUJI wrote:

> In article <[🔎] Pine.GSO.3.96LJ1.1b7.1000411115225.8604D-100000@ryouko.dgim.crc.ca> (at Tue, 11 Apr 2000 11:56:20 -0400 (EDT)), "William F. Maton" <wmaton@ryouko.dgim.crc.ca> says:
>
> > know quite a bit about the protocol.  If you're suggesting a script
> > package for Debian as a user option for connecting to the Freenet6 (the
> > 6bone tunnel server) then that would be cool.  Has anyone created such a
> > "deb"?

Freenet6 provides a Debian-specific perl script for connection when you
request a tunnel.  It would be mickey mouse to set it up to be completely
automagic: get the HTML page, send the information, get the perlscript and
run it.

> Hmm, many users use (PPP and) DHCP, and the solution is not good
> in such case, isn't it?

There ARE KAME and WIDE patched DHCPs, and there is a RFC on IPv6 over PPP
(RFC 2472).

> I think automatic tunneling (using IPv4-compatible address) can help us.

I would like to see some implementations of this, especially since that's
what I'm doing myself ATM--trying to set up a ip-up script that sets up a
SIT tunnel to our IPv6 host (that, and trying to get a handle on RIPng
routing...)