The strangest ipv6 setup problems...

Hello,

I couldn't find the real cause of my previous routing troubles I mailed
about, so I've basically been tinkering randomly with my setup, until I
almost got it to work.

I have a host GW that is a local gateway and has a tunnel to the 6bone,
and a host LOCAL that is on the local network, and thus should route to
the 6bone through GW.

With my current setup, when I boot host LOCAL to get a clean config, host
LOCAL can not ping host GW (and thus no hosts on the 6bone), but host GW
can successfully ping LOCAL. The really strange thing is that if I start
pinging GW from LOCAL, and leave the "unreachable" messages scrolling by,
then start tcpdump proto IPv6 on host GW, then the packets will start
returning to LOCAL, and it gets its full 6bone access.

What could cause this and how do I fix it so I don't have to tcpdump to
get my network up?

Here is the LOCAL init script:

#! /bin/sh
PREFIX=3ffe:200:13       # Your IPv6 prefix
ADDRESS=3                # The host-part of the IPv6 address for this
machine
GATEWAY=3ffe:200:13::2

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/autoconf
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/accept_ra
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/accept_redirects
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/forwarding
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/router_solicitations

ifconfig eth0 add $PREFIX::$ADDRESS/64
route -A inet6 add $PREFIX::0/64 dev eth0
route6 -A inet6 add 3f00::0/8 gw $GATEWAY

Here is the GW init script:

#! /bin/sh
PREFIX=3ffe:200:13       # Your IPv6 prefix
ADDRESS=2                # The host-part of the IPv6 address for this
machine
TUNNEL=193.10.66.219     # The IPv4 address of the far side of your tunnel

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eth0/autoconf
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eth0/accept_ra
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eth0/accept_redirects

ifconfig sit0 up

ifconfig eth0 add $PREFIX::$ADDRESS/64
route -A inet6 add $PREFIX::0/64 dev eth0

ifconfig eth0 add 3ffe:200:1:19:0:0:0:2
ifconfig sit0 tunnel ::$TUNNEL
ifconfig sit1 up
route -A inet6 add 3f00::0/8 gw fe80::$TUNNEL dev sit1
radvd &

Any helpful insights will be appreciated.

Regards,

Pontus

--
Pontus Lidman, pontus@mathcore.com, Software Engineer
No matter how cynical you get, it's impossible to keep up.