Re: Problem with libpcap-dev

Hi David,
On Tue, 12 Oct 2010, David Katelansky wrote:

Hi All,
I recently put Debian Interix on my PC that's running Windows XP Pro SP 3. Everything looks good, but I wasn't able to compile a C program that uses the -lpcap flag; libpcap-dev is missing. When I tried to apt-get install libpcap-dev I got a message saying that I couldn't install before there was a broken dependncy; libpcap0.8 I've even gone as far as trying to re-compile the source code for these packages, but to no avail. Has anybody fixed this problem?

libpcap probably won't work within interix, because the interix "kernel" doesn't provide access to raw network interfaces.
So you can't do packet capturing. There may be 2 ways to go:

1. Build a limited libpcap, with interface access disabled. Maybe there are some useful functions, e.g. to render captured files from elsewhere for display, but I don't know the details. And hope, your C program will work with it.

2. Make -lpcap optional in your C program and omit it. You won't get the full functionality anyway.

If you need access to raw network devices, you should make a Win32 program for that. Then you can exec() that one from within interix and do some data exchange, e.g. via file or local network sockets.

Martin