Re: Issue with GitHub releases pages

Hi,

在 2022-11-03星期四的 21:37 +0100,Gunnar Hjalmarsson写道:
> On 2022-11-03 20:58, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > uscan does currently not work for projects which rely on GitHub releases
> > pages. I submitted an ibus merge request which seems to work around the
> > issue.
> >
> > https://salsa.debian.org/debian/ibus/-/merge_requests/11
> >
> > I'd appreciate some feedback. Is that a sensible solution
> >
> > 1. for ibus
> > 2. for other affected projects
>
> Btw, related bug report: https://bugs.debian.org/1019696

Haven't heard of downloadmangle before, but this might be a good approach
when upstream (at GitHub) is providing a tarball on the release page.
Otherwise it might be better to just use the download link on the tags page
(as suggested by uscan(1) man page).

Pros of using downloadmangle:

* Ensures reproducibility since the upstream-provided tarball will not
change, while auto-generated tarball from github tags could change depending
on how github handles it (check the reproducible-builds mailing list for
related discussion).

Downs of using downloadmangle:

* Not using the very "original form of upstream source code", will contain
boilerplate files such as autotools-related configure, etc.

Thanks,
Boyuan Yang