Re: Issue with GitHub releases pages

On 2022-11-05 21:54, Boyuan Yang wrote:
在 2022-11-03星期四的 21:37 +0100,Gunnar Hjalmarsson写道:
On 2022-11-03 20:58, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
uscan does currently not work for projects which rely on GitHub
releases pages. I submitted an ibus merge request which seems to
work around the issue.

https://salsa.debian.org/debian/ibus/-/merge_requests/11

I'd appreciate some feedback. Is that a sensible solution

1. for ibus
2. for other affected projects

Btw, related bug report: https://bugs.debian.org/1019696

Haven't heard of downloadmangle before, but this might be a good
approach when upstream (at GitHub) is providing a tarball on the
release page. Otherwise it might be better to just use the download
link on the tags page (as suggested by uscan(1) man page).

Pros of using downloadmangle:

* Ensures reproducibility since the upstream-provided tarball will
not change, while auto-generated tarball from github tags could
change depending on how github handles it (check the
reproducible-builds mailing list for related discussion).

Downs of using downloadmangle:

* Not using the very "original form of upstream source code", will
contain boilerplate files such as autotools-related configure, etc.

Thanks for your comments, Boyuan!

I take it that you don't oppose very much. An additional pro with the proposed method is that we keep downloading the tarball provided via GitHub's release page in cases where we have done so up to now.

Probably, for most IM related packages, the source at respective tags page is used, or else this page:

https://udd.debian.org/dmd/?debian-input-method%40lists.debian.org#todo

would have been flooded by uscan errors.

I will merge the ibus MR and make similar changes to d/watch in a couple of other affected packages.

--
Cheers,
Gunnar