Re: fcitx5-libthai_5.0.4-2_source.changes ACCEPTED into unstable

On 2021-05-19 21:34, Shengjing Zhu wrote:
On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 3:18 AM Gunnar Hjalmarsson <gunnarhj@debian.org> wrote:

Hi Shengjing,

On 2021-05-19 19:48, Debian FTP Masters wrote:
Changes:
   fcitx5-libthai (5.0.4-2) unstable; urgency=medium
   .
     * Team upload
     * Add appstream to Build-Depends
--------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Out of curiosity: Why?

During backport to focal, it FTBFS with some error I have met before.
https://launchpadlibrarian.net/539517370/buildlog_ubuntu-focal-arm64.fcitx5-libthai_5.0.4-1~ubuntu20.04.1~ppa1_BUILDING.txt.gz

/usr/bin/msgfmt: cannot locate ITS rules for
/<<PKGBUILDDIR>>/org.fcitx.Fcitx5.Addon.LibThai.metainfo.xml.in

I'm pretty sure some time ago all packages FTBFS without appstream so
I have added it to B-D.
Something has changed in sid that fixes(?) the problem, but I'm not sure.

All fcitx5-* packages currently have appstream in B-D.

```
$ rg appstream -g'control' --no-heading
fcitx5-hangul/debian/control:8: appstream,
fcitx5-lua/debian/control:8: appstream,
fcitx5-skk/debian/control:8: appstream,
fcitx5-libthai/debian/control:9: appstream,
fcitx5-chinese-addons/debian/control:8: appstream,
fcitx5-rime/debian/control:8: appstream,
fcitx5/debian/control:8: appstream,
fcitx5-chewing/debian/control:8: appstream,
```

Thanks for explaining. I think the error happens in focal but not later since in later versions gettext itself installs the files metainfo{its,loc}, while those files are not included in the gettext version shipped in focal.

The reason why I asked is that I recently dropped appstream from the gnome-software Build-Depends due to this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-software/+bug/1927149

I also submitted an issue for upstream to consider:

https://github.com/ximion/appstream/issues/315

In short the appstream variant of metainfo.its extracts the strings between the <releases></releases> tags, while the gettext variant of metainfo.its ignores those strings. IMNSHO the gettext approach makes more sense.

Possibly it doesn't make a difference in the context of building fcitx5- packages.

--
Cheers,
Gunnar