Re: im-config | Use im-config on Wayland without uninstalling IBus (!5)

Hi,

On Tue, 2020-07-14 at 11:38 +0900, Changwoo Ryu wrote:
> 2020년 7월 14일 (화) 오전 12:07, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <gunnarhj@ubuntu.com>님이
> 작성:
> > On 2020-07-13 09:36, Changwoo Ryu wrote:
> > > 2020년 7월 13일 (월) 오전 10:39, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <
> > > gunnarhj@ubuntu.com>님이
> > > 작성:
> > >
> > > This is not true. im-config never offers an API.
> >
> > $ man im-config | grep API
> >         The -l, -m, -n, and -o options are meant to be API for
> > other
> > programs to control the im-config.
>
> You were right about that. Sorry I'm correcting myself. im-config
> provides API options for external programs.
>
> Actually the possible problem is not exactly about breaking the API.
> The problem of the limit of the API. With my proposed change, the
> Ubuntu language-selector UI could be misleading when automatically
> showing only "none".

I see concern but I am kind of lost in too many discussion.

I think many commits to devel by Gunnar are good.  I can't explain why
I made a commit checking ibus-daemon?  Maybe this was for uim ...

Gunnar:
As for devel branch, I think we need to make coding style adjustment
and refactoring with future security improvement in mind for
/etc/default/im-config.  Let's leave it for future discussion.
(writing shell code in /etc file isn't the best style.  It should be
simple assignment lines which can be parsed by grep/sed pipe.)

Changwoo:
As for stable update, have you consider to use IM_CONFIG_PREFERRED_RULE
in /etc/default/im-config.  Maybe, this is less aggressive than
changing "auto" behavior.  I can't locate your previous massage
explaining with patch.  Can you tell me your last patch proposal again.

---
# Set locale dependent preferred IM over standard auto mode
IM_CONFIG_PREFERRED_RULE="ko_KR,none: ...."
---

Hmmmm... can we do this???

Osamu