Re: ibus-libpinyin 1.9.2 in Ubuntu

Thanks for your reply, ChangZhuo!

On 2018-01-27 06:29, ChangZhuo Chen (陳昌倬) wrote:
On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 10:27:59AM +0100, Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
Hi ChangZhuo!

In April Ubuntu will release Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, and we would like to
provide ibus-libpinyin 1.9.2 as the default IM for Simplified
Chinese.

So we are about to build these packages from Debian experimental in
the Ubuntu archive:

* ibus-libpinyin 1.9.2-1~exp1
* fcitx-libpinyin 0.5.2-1~exp1
* libpinyin 2.1.0-1~exp3

As regards libpinyin we think it's motivated to exclude the
libzhuyin13 and libzhuyin-dev binaries when building. That way e.g.
ibus-libzhuyin and fcitx-zhuyin (which depend on libzhuyin7) can
co-exist with ibus-libpinyin and fcitx-libpinyin. (I'm not sure if
ibus-libzhuyin works properly anyway, though.)

I tested ibus-libzhuyin in experimental today, and I can type
Chinese words without any problem. So I think it is good.

I had missed that also ibus-libzhuyin is present in experimental, so my remark refers to version 1.7.10-1. Just tested version 1.8.0-1~exp1, and it works for me too.

If there is no problem, I prefer to update libpinyin and libzhuyin
together to the new version. It would be easily to maintain since we
only need to deal with single source tarball.

I made an attempt to instead build the versions of ibus-libzhuyin
and fcitx-zhuyin in the Debian archive with libzhuyin-dev 2.1.0,
but wasn't successful. I suppose it's more into it. Is this
something you are aware of?

Current ibus-libzhuyin was built with libzhuyin-dev 2.1.0, so it
shall be no problem. I will check if anything go wrong.

I don't remember building fcitx-zhuyin with libzhuyin-dev 2.1.0,
will also check it as well.

The latter is not built in experimental, and it appears to not be needed. fcitx-libpinyin in experimental is a wrapper package which ships three input methods:

$ dpkg -L fcitx-libpinyin | grep inputmethod/
/usr/share/fcitx/inputmethod/pinyin-libpinyin.conf
/usr/share/fcitx/inputmethod/shuangpin-libpinyin.conf
/usr/share/fcitx/inputmethod/zhuyin-libpinyin.conf

So, as far as I now understand, the fcitx-zhuyin and libzhuyin source packages should simply be dropped from sid, and these packages in experimental:

libpinyin
ibus-libpinyin
ibus-libzhuyin
fcitx-libpinyin

should be moved to sid.

Does that make sense to you?

Then, for now on the Ubuntu side, we'd better keep libpinyin 2.1.0-1~exp3 without modifications and also sync ibus-libzhuyin from Debian experimental.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj