[Pkg-ime-devel] RFS: scim-kmfl-imengine

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 04:08:45PM -0600, Ming Hua wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 12:05:36PM -0800, Doug Rintoul wrote:
> > Ming Hua wrote:

> > > The im-switch file is still in debian/im-switch, and debian/rules still
> > > installs it.
> > >
> > This is correct. The problem is that the scim im-switch file keeps
> > changing, at least for Ubuntu. Under Fiesty, GTK_IM_MODULE was set to
> > scim, however under Gutsy, GTK_IM_MODULE was set to xim.
>
> Yeah, I am aware of this.  Now that Ubuntu scim package's im-switch
> setting is synchronized with Debian's, let's hope it can stay that way
> from now on.
>
> > This "broke" kmfl as well as a few other things. I realize this is not
> > a Debian problem, but an Ubuntu problem.
>
> Then please at least keep the Debian package simple, and add the extra
> measures to the Ubuntu package.
>
> > The solution given was to edit /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim and change
> > the xim references to scim.
>
> This is just plainly misinformed suggestion.  Ubuntu also ships the
> scim-immodule setting, the proper way has always been using im-switch,
> instead of changing the configurations file.  I've seen such suggestions
> given elsewhere, I just don't have time to correct it every time I see
> it.
>
> > But of course, these changes would be wiped out the next time a person
> > upgraded scim.
>
> Acutally not, since /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim is a conffile.  But
> that's another topic.

Yes. it is confusing to many users ...

im-switch is too much obfusication for the simple hook to start/set-up
XIM/immodule :-)  I do not like it but until someone make good effort to
propose alternative, we are stuck with it.  (Ming, we need to fix -d
issue first, though.)

> > Providing a scim-kmfl im-switch file would give more control over the
> > scim environment under which kmfl runs and would.

> > > Before there is a better way for the individual IM module packages to
> > > configure the im-switch settings, you can always depend on
> > > scim-gtk2-immodule and add a debconf note to ask users to set im-switch
> > > to scim-immodule (or even offer to set it in the debconf question).
> > >
> > This is a good option, however for reasons stated above I would rather
> > have the user use the scim-kmfl im-switch file rather than the scim
> > im-switch file. But I am open to suggestions.
>
> I can guarantee that scim package's im-switch setting won't change
> randomly.  And when it changes, upgrade path will be provided so that
> packages that depend on it won't break.
>
> I think as the maintainer, it's eventually your decision (and your
> sponsor's decision) to make.  But I'll just make it clear that I'm very
> against the idea of SCIM IM engine packages shipping their own im-switch
> settings.

Me too.

By the way, SCIM as its current form does not have debconf question to
chose between XIM/immodule.  Although use of XIM is safer for upgrade in
unstable, immodule seems to be stabilizing for both GTK and Qt and seems
to have extra benefit now.

Osamu