UBC-ECE outage 2013-02-16/17

Hi,

Our hosting partners at the University of British Columbia's Department of
Electrical and Computer Engineering (UBC-ECE) have advised us of maintenance
work being conducted by UBC IT on 2013-02-16 (Saturday, time TBD). This
maintenance is likely to include a network outage that will disrupt
connectivity to Debian infrastructure hosted at UBC-ECE.

To maximize the outage (kidding!), we (DSA) will follow the UBC IT outage on
2013-02-16 with one of our own on 2013-02-17 to perform a (critical - vendor
advised) firmware upgrade of our central storage array at UBC-ECE (an HP MSA
2012i). This firmware upgrade will necessitate halting the majority of Debian
hosts at UBC-ECE.

A number of externally-facing services, such as www.debian.org, are location
redundant and will continue to be available during these planned outages at
UBC-ECE. Many of our internally-facing services, however, are not redundant
and will NOT be available.

A list of hosts/services at UBC-ECE can be found below [1].

Please accept this email as advance notification of the UBC-ECE outage
2013-02-16/17. Once the UBC IT network reconfiguration timeline is known,
we will announce specific times for the outage, compressing where possible.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact DSA at
debian-admin@lists.debian.org.

For the Debian System Administration Team,

Martin Zobel-Helas & Luca Filipozzi

[1] hosts/services at UBC-ECE:

buildds
-------
# brahms.debian.org
  + amd64 buildd
# corelli.debian.org
  + mips buildd
# finzi.debian.org
  + kfreebsd-i386 buildd
# fano.debian.org
  + kfreebsd-amd64 buildd
# lucatelli.debian.org
  + mips buildd
# spontini.debian.org
  + SPARC buildd

porterboxes
-----------
# barriere.debian.org
  + AMD64 port machine
# fischer.debian.org
  + kfreebsd-i386 porterbox
# falla.debian.org
  + kfreebsd-amd64 porterbox
# gabrielli.debian.org
  + mips porterbox

kvm hosts
---------
# dijkstra.debian.org
# luchesi.debian.org
# salieri.debian.org
# traetta.debian.org
# tristano.debian.org
# pasquini.debian.org
# bertali.debian.org
# boito.debian.org

location redundant services
---------------------------
# stabile.debian.org
  + archive.debian.org - historical debian releases
  + snapshot.debian.org
  + morgue.debian.org
# geo2.debian.org
  + GeoIP DNS for Debian services
# lotti.debian.org
  + central syslog server
# beach.debian.org
  + bugs.debian.org - bugs web frontend
# stanley.debian.org
  + static-mirror

additional hosts/VMs and their services
---------------------------------------
# morricone.debian.org
  + backports.debian.org
  + backports-master.debian.org
# wolkenstein.debian.org
  + www-master.debian.org
# paganini.debian.org
  + dde.debian.net
  + manpages.debian.net
  + tftpd for local infrastructure
# respighi.debian.org
  + patch-tracker.debian.org
# tchaikovsky.debian.org
  + nagios.debian.org - monitoring
# quantz.debian.org
  + packages.qa.debian.org - Package Tracking System
  + qa.debian.org - quality assurance
# nono.debian.org
  + nm.debian.org - new maintainers
# reger.debian.org