Re: Willing to test IA64 builds of Debian and kernel with other distributions if needed

On Wed, 2023-09-27 at 19:25 +0200, Frank Scheiner wrote:
> > While it's great that someone is willing to take care of the kernel port,
> > we're still in the situation that the toolchain on ia64 is unmaintained
> > and has many issues.
>
> @Adrian:
> Say, wasn't that the case for how many years now? And was this not the
> case when you, Jason and Jessica reinstated the ia64 port of Debian?

I think we resurrected the port sometime around 2017 [1] while the last ia64
GCC maintainer resigned in 2019 [2]. So we had two more years with both the
kernel and the toolchain being maintained. I didn't check when glibc maintenance
ceased though.

> Similar for Linux, where there was no maintainer for ia64 since early
> 2021 IIRC.

As I have explained in a previous mail, ia64 is very special and therefore many
changes that can be implemented rather straight-forward on most other architectures
are more involved on ia64 which is why many upstream maintainers would rather see it
go.

I do not have strong opinion on this myself, but I understand that the port causes
a particular burden for upstream maintainers and I can understand their reasoning.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer