Re: ports/ia64: klibc-utils in Sid should use static binaries

On 06/06/2018 02:33 AM, James Clarke wrote:
Is there a good reason why we're not fixing the crashing instead of
working around it?

At least I am currently missing the knowledge to quickly fix the "real" issue - which is still to be determined. And on the other hand, if this workaround was good enough from 2008 to 2016 (see [1] and [2]), why invest the effort?

[1]: https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/klibc/blame/e4240918f3816cb219c9d13cfe8d257b7441df8b/debian/patches/ia64-static

[2]: https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/klibc/commit/07809ffd86e1e4ca5a4e98e4708a1c1fae10babf#c3d0e206bfb2cbee4f1c9fe6b8257d287bca279d

But this does also not prevent a fix from someone that is already familiar with klibc - but this will still require some time I assume.

In the meantime - with the workaround enabled - the "standard" initramfs as used in Debian becomes usable again on ia64 with the next release of klibc already.

Cheers,
Frank