Re: Porter roll call for Debian Stretch

niels@thykier.net:
> Hi,
>
> Like last release, we are doing a roll call for porters of all release
> architectures.  If you are an active porter behind one of the [release
> architectures] for the entire lifetime of Debian Stretch (est. end of
> 2020), please respond with a signed email containing the following
> before Friday, the 9th of September:
>
>  [...]

Thanks to all that replied to the roll call.

We got replies from all architectures except amd64 (Waived), i386
(Waived) and powerpc (problematic).  For the ports that replied, all had
at least 2 or more porters.
  We also got a parallel update from Matthias Klose on the toolchain
state[1].  Based on these we have updated the current state of the
architecture qualification for Stretch[2].

 * Please check that your name is listed as a porter on [2] (see [3]
   for how).  If I missed you, please do not hesitate to let me know.

 * For powerpc, mips and mipsel: Please note that we have added a
   (potentially) blocking issues for your architecture.
   - powerpc: No porter (RM blocker)
   - mips+mipsel: #834147 (RM concern, possibly blocker)

As for the piggy backed question about PIE by default:

 * arm64: 2 OK, 1 did not mention it
 * armel: 3 OK, 1 OK if tested first, 1 was neutral and 1 did not
   mention it
 * armhf: 4 OK, 1 OK if tested first, 1 was neutral and 2 did not
   mention it
 * mips+mipsel+mips64el: 3 OK, 1 OK later, 4 did not mention it.
 * ppc64el: 3 OK, 1 recommended further testing/research
 * s390x: 2 OK

Over all, most people (who answered it) was positive towards the switch.
 Based on this, I suspect that if we make PIE default in Stretch, then
we will do it for all architectures.  That said, you will be notified if
that default changes for Stretch.

Thanks,
~Niels

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2016/09/msg00263.html

[2] https://release.debian.org/stretch/arch_qualify.html

[3] Hover your mouse over the number of porters for your architecture
or download the underlying data file from:
  https://release.debian.org/stretch/arch_spec.yaml