Re: Radeon KMS removed from linux-image-3.2.0-4-mckinley 3.2.35-2

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 8:07 AM, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
On Tue, 2013-01-15 at 09:28 -0600, Patrick Baggett wrote:
> Émeric,
>

> I think it was a mistake. I am having some graphical corruption while
> using Xorg on 3.2.x kernels, but I can definitely boot with KMS and
> interact with the console glitch-free. The issue described with the
> PowerPC-based laptops was that the computer hangs -- this simply
> doesn't happen on ia64. In later kernels, KMS+Xorg+Mesa DRI drivers
> work great, so even if it is set for !x86, it should be removed later.
> I think you should file a bug for it.
[...]

The information I've had up to now is that KMS works well on x86 (if you
have firmware installed) and fails on many PowerPC systems.  I simply
had no information about any other platform, and I tend to assume that
if a feature is primarily used on x86 and is broken on another
architecture that it is broken on more of them.

But I think a lot of the problems with radeon on PowerPC are specific to
the on-board Radeon chips in Mac systems which have odd firmware (no
ATOM-BIOS).  This presumably doesn't apply to any other architecture,
and so only PowerPC should get the special treatment.  Right?

Yes, that's correct.