Re: A new metric for source package importance in ports

Hi josch!

On 27/11/13 17:58, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> http://mister-muffin.de/p/Gid8.txt
>
> One can see that now the amount of source packages which is needed to build the
> rest of the archive is only 383.

So, there are 383 packages that share the same, maximum value (in this
case 11657) in the second column?

> Does anybody see enough value in these numbers for source package importance in
> the light of bootstrapping Debian (either for a new port or for rebuilding the
> archive from scratch)?

I find the list of 383 packages interesting, at least.  I think this
closure is what I had in mind[0] for regular testing of ports'
toolchains and reproducibility of builds.  Because each Debian port
depends in some indirect way on the authenticity of these packages.  And
likewise any toolchain bugs are most critical here.  I just didn't think
there would be so many packages.

Does the list vary by architecture?  I see many odd things in here such
as 'systemd' and 'redhat-cluster' which would be unavailable if trying
to bootstrap a non-Linux port, for example.

I also find it interesting to see openjdk-7 listed but not gcj;  or even
gcc-4.8.  Was this computed for jessie or sid?

[0]: http://lists.debian.org/5266DF9D.9040904@pyro.eu.org

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain