Re: HP RX2620 don't boot wheezy

Will Deacon wrote:
>On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 05:06:41PM +0100, Will Deacon wrote:
>> My *hunch* is that this is compiler related. Given the speed of my machine,
>> does anybody know where I can find a cross-compiler matching the version
>> used to build the Squeeze kernel (gcc version 4.4.5 (Debian 4.4.5-8))? I tried
>> cross-compiling the Squeeze kernel sources with a more recent toolchain
>> (4.6.3) and the resulting image also caused a hard reset -- hence the hunch,
>> although it's also possible that I just screwed up the kernel config.
>
>Ok, after some more experimentation, this is looking more and more like
>a compiler problem. Using 4.6.3, I *can* build a bootable kernel from the
>Squeeze sources but only if I hack the kernel Makefile to pass -O1 instead
>of -O2 or -Os.

OK, that's progress at least!

I know we've never really bothered with cross-compilers targeting
ia64, as it's not historically been considered a "slow" architecture.

After you mentioned yesterday, I've also enabled building of the
firmware netinst images for ia64 now. Of course, we still need to
build a working kernel yet!

Support the Campaign for Audiovisual Free Expression: http://www.eff.org/cafe/