Re: status of ia64 for jessie and later

Pardon my ignorance, but "--with-system-libunwind" -- does that packages built with GCC using C++ exception, are linked against libunwind7 and not libunwind8, and the package needs to be compiled with libunwind8 present? i.e. libunwind.so -> libunwind.so.8

In other words, is a simple recompile necessary for these packages or is there more work that needs to be done?

Patrick Baggett

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org> wrote:
Am 09.05.2013 17:42, schrieb Stephan Schreiber:
> Quoting Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@debian.org>:
>> I remember talk about potentially dropping the ia64 port after wheezy
>> was released, but don't know about the current status.
>>
> All Wheezy ia64 RC bugs have been fixed (except the problem with the ruby
> package; the fix is still in the works).
>>

> Quoting Ansgar Burchardt <ansgar@debian.org>:
>> However if this is planned it might be worth doing so soon: on ia64
>> about 2750 source packages depend on libunwind7 which changed its soname
>> to libunwind8.
>>
> I can't find any problem with libunwind8 on ia64. Where is the bug report?
> The libunwind7/8 package isn't a particular thing of ia64; there are builds of
> it on amd64, armel, armhf, i386, and powerpc as well.
> Any package which depends on libunwind7 needs an update of the libunwind
> dependencies for *any* arch.
> So this is red herring.

no.  GCC is configured with --with-system-libunwind on ia64.  Wether this is
still correct, needed, should be changed or updated, is a task for the ia64 porters.

  Matthias