Re: /dev/null misconfiguration on caballero?

On Mon, 2012-07-16 at 16:54 -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> This implies that /dev/null isn't empty, because the "test-json"
> program was able to read at least 3 bytes from it.  That can easily
> happen in a chroot if someone forgets to "mknod /dev/null c 1 3" and
> later someone writes data to /dev/null as root.  Any chance this
> happened?

Something I have seen cause this problem in the past is build scripts
which run something like "gcc -o /dev/null test.c" as root.

GCC may have fixed this problem, but other programs may still do blind
unlink() calls before creating an output file.
--
Knowledge Is Power
Power Corrupts