Re: Unbootable initramfs in Testing (was Re: Unbootable linux-image-2.6.39-2-mckinley)

Just to let you know that the culprit is definitely initramfs-tools 0.99.

Indeed, my system successfully booted with
linux-image-2.6.39-2-mckinley, but initrd.img had to be created with
initramfs-tools < 0.99. So from e.g. a Squeeze environment, as
linux-image-2.6.39-2-mckinley unlikely depends on initramfs-tools 0.99
and thus cannot be downgraded :-(

initramfs-tools failure can also be double-checked from a native
Squeeze environment, that comes with initramfs-tools 0.98.8 and
linux-image-2.6.32-5-mckinley. Backup your initrd.img and update to
initramfs-tools 0.99 from Testing. initrd.img is regenerated and
you'll end up with an unbootable system stalling at:
[   17.146492] Freeing unused kernel memory: 1024kB freed
Reverting to initramfs-tools 0.98.8 solves the problem.

Is initramfs-tools still the way to create initrd.img on Debian? I
remember that other tools were available in the past (yaird comes to
memory). If initramfs-tools is still the correct utility, do I have to
file a bug report? I can't find something similar with the currently
open initramfs-tools issues, but I may be wrong.