Re: Debian 6.0 "Squeeze" installation feedback on zx6000

Hello Alan,

2011/2/9 A. Devine <devine@dna.ie>:
> On the GDM bug, when switching back to GDM from GDM3 can you actually use
> the Settings-Daemon or does it still gobble 100% CPU on restart? Does using
> GDM break any other dependences?

Switching back to gdm doesn't solve the problem, the GNOME settings
daemon still uses 100% CPU. But at least a (standard) user can kill
the gnome-settings-daemon processes without root priviledges required,
releasing CPU power.

I don't think that reverting to gdm break any dependency. In fact,
from the release notes
(http://www.debian.org/releases/squeeze/ia64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#id533495),
gdm is the default option for people upgrading from Lenny. So I
imagine that the Debian QA team has ensured that everything is fine if
following this route. It's just advised to upgrade to gdm3, not
required. Wheezy will be different, hence IMHO the need to fix ASAP
Debian bug #537572
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=537572).
Furthermore, I've tracked down the issue to GNOME settings daemon
2.24.1-1 (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=537572#67).

Next big thing will probably be to fix 3D hardware acceleration, as
Wheezy will surely come with GNOME 3.x, using GNOME Shell as window
manager. And GNOME Shell heavily relies upon Mutter/Clutter/OpenGL.

> I found the same insta-crash bugs with Epiphany and to be honest, many
> packages, Squeeze RC2 seems quite unstable on IA64.

Too bad, since Squeeze is no more RC, but the stable one! Do you have
a list of the faulty packages? Do you know if the issues you're
experiencing have been filed through the Debian BTS?

    Emeric