Re: git-core FTBFS on ia64: t1001-read-tree-m-2way.sh test fails

tags 563882 +patch
thanks

On Sat, 9 Jan 2010, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> To test this hypothesis, it would be nice to use a copy of git built
> with DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nocheck to compare
> […]

Thanks for looking at this, Jonathan.

Now that Git 1.6.6.1 is out, I propose we build git-core 1.6.6.1-1 with
the patch I posted above <http://bugs.debian.org/563882#10>, which lets
the two tests in question expect to fail on ia64 only.  Then ia64 users
can have a package to test this with more easily, and non-ia64 users don’t
have to wait for us to find an ia64 user and convince them to care (which
we’ve all been unable to do for several weeks).

As far as I can tell, this test failure was triggered by some kind of
change on the buildd and is not a real regression from the version in
testing, given that it was observed with an earlier version in Ubuntu.
So even for ia64 users, if there are any, this should not cause any more
problems than already exist.

The only other option I see is to disable the ia64 architecture entirely
for git-core, given that we’re effectively unable to support it.  But I
think patching the test suite is less unfortunate.

Anders