no jpgs via http - https works fine (apache 1.3.34 and 2.2.3)

Hi!
We are running an HP RX2600 Itanium Server with debian eth (kernel 2.6.18) for some local education projects. Since we applied some updates (marked as non critical) via apt-get upgrade we have got problems with some jpgs.

After resizing the picture with gimp the broken picture works fine.

We found out, that some broken pictures have got EXIF-headers with camera information. Most of the pictures were uploaded months ago and have already been displayed without any problems before the "patchday".

Please feel free to try out yourself:

apache 1.3.34
http://wvbg.bndlg.de/~max/apache vs. https://wvbg.bndlg.de/~max/apache

apache 2.2.3
http://wvbg.bndlg.de:81/~max/apache

Transfering the pictures to an apache running i386 debian and apache 1.3.34 everything works fine, too.

Any hints?