KDE -- broken

I just recently did an apt-get upgrade to
pick the recent changes to etch. I thought it would also
be a good time to install KDE. This has turned out to be
a nightmare. apt-get install kde brought lots of apps
but didn't cause kde to run. Later I did apt-get install kdm
but that didn't do it either. I tweaked the files in
rc3.d to bring up kdm but that didn't work. It does run kdm
but it still runs gnome. My latest ploy was to add
an .xsession file with exec startkde in my home directory.
This does indeed get kde to run but it seems badly broken.
initially, the taskbar extended off the screen on both ends.
By tweaking, I got a usable taskbar but hardly pretty. but
application come up with an unreasonable size or partially
off-screen. And then they don't function correctly. (Example:
back button in firefox needs multiple clicks to go back one
page)

KDE on my x86 machine works fine so what should I do?

machine is HP Z2000 running debian etch

Richard Harke