Re: booting debian

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 06:01:29PM +0200, De Leeuw Guy wrote:
> Hello Dan,
>
> Sorry for my long silence, but this computer are our main server and
> it's not easy to shutdown and switch to the debian.
> I can try this morning.
> remember my problem :
>
> the system boot one time with the megaraid driver in first place and the
> qla2300, and another time with the qla2300 driver in first place and the
> megaraid in second place.

Are you saying that with the exact same configuration, the ordering of
the devices is varies on boot?  Or are you saying that you are able to
change the configuration to either?

> I change my /etc/fstab with :
> /dev/disk/by-uuid/3FF0-131C
> /boot/efi       vfat    defaults        0 0

fwiw, you shouldn't mount /boot/efi by default on Debian systems;
/usr/sbin/elilo will manage this for you, and that's what Debian
linux-image packages expect.

> /dev/disk/by-uuid/cc687ecd-e5cd-4882-aef3-c9591e76b5a1
> /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
> #/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:0b:00.0-scsi-0:4:0:0-part4
> none            swap    sw              0       0

looks ok

> My elilo.conf :
> delay=20
> default=Linux
>
> image=/EFI/debian/vmlinuz
>  label=Linux
>  root=/dev/sda3
>  read-only
>  initrd=/EFI/debian/initrd.img

And this works sometimes?  All the time?  Never?

> I try :
> root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/cc687ecd-e5cd-4882-aef3-c9591e76b5a1
> the ':' give a problem with lilo
> root="/dev/disk/by-path/pci-0000:0b:00.0-scsi-0:4:0:0-part3"
> work but the system hang when udev start

I've tested using root=/dev/disk/by-id syntax with grub and it works
fine, so this isn't a generic initramfs-tools problem.  I have a
qla2200 disk as root on a sparc system, and it works fine w/ an
initramfs-tools initrd, so this isn't a generic FC-as-root problem.

The initramfs intentionally "hangs", waiting for udev to create the
special device file for your root device.  It is not clear to me why
this file is never being created.  You should be able to interrupt at
this point (^c) and examine your system to see what /dev/ entries *do*
exist.  Is there *any* /dev entry for your root device?

> I don't know how to solve this problem, can you help me ?

It would be much easier with a complete bootlog - any chance you can
hook up a serial console and collect one?  If it is true that
sometimes your megaraid is sda, and sometimes your qla2300 is sda,
then it'd be nice to see a bootlog of each.

--
dann frazier